How to Find the Right Accent Piece for Your Living Room Space
Art and accessories like curtains and rugs aren't the only way to introduce visual interest and style into your living room. This guide demystifies the world of accent furniture, helping you answer common questions like "What are nesting tables?" and "Do I need a coffee table?"
Factors to Consider Before Choosing Your Accent Furniture
Although this is a furniture category that tends to be decorative, it's still important to make sure you consider practical factors while you shop for accent pieces. Think about these points in addition to design:
- Size: Your accent pieces should be proportioned correctly based on the anchor chairs and sofas you choose. For example, if you only have room for a loveseat rather than a full-length couch, consider purchasing a small circular coffee table rather than a long rectangular one.
- Shape: Variety is the spice of life and the key to balanced décor. Try to choose accent pieces in a variety of different shapes, like a square side table to contrast with your round coffee table.
- Color: Exact matching of paint or stain colors isn't necessary. In fact, a bit of contrast can do your décor some good. However, you don't want to go too far with contrast and end up with pieces that clash, so consider balance as you choose the colors you want for accents.
Accent tables are one of the best functional accessories for a living room. Use them for practical purposes, such as storage and table lamp display, or elevate some of your most treasured decorative items. Use these tips to choose the right accent tables.
- Height variation: Use different accent table types to introduce storage and décor at different eye lines in the room. Nesting tables are an easy way to do this, while also embracing practicality. For example, if you place a set of two nesting tables at the end of your sofa, you can use the taller one for decorative objects and a lamp, while the lower one stays within reach for guests' drinks.
- Decorative pop: Accent tables are a great way to introduce a splash of aesthetic interest into your living room. Consider going with a bright color or an unusual shape and style for your accent tables. This helps shake up your décor without having to invest in a large art piece. CORT's Ridley nesting tables, for example, can introduce a rustic contrast to sleek, modern furniture.
With their ability to showcase your individuality and add some much-needed height into a furniture arrangement, bookcases are ideal accent accessories for a living room. Here are some considerations to help guide your product selection:
- Form vs. function: Bookcases are the ideal blend between practical storage and decorative impact, allowing you to showcase trinkets and treasures alongside important books. Options like the Ancia bookcase offer shelving of different shapes and sizes so you can showcase a variety of different objects without wasting shelf space.
- Material contrast: Because bookcases have so much decorative power, it can be a good idea to choose a different material, such as polished metal or distressed wood, for these pieces. That way, you can draw your guests' eyes to the piece, rather than having it fade into the background among similar materials.
If you're looking for a versatile accent to create an inviting atmosphere, you can't go wrong with an ottoman. Here are just a few of the ways to use one:
- Coffee table alternative: People who love putting their feet up may want to forgo a coffee table entirely and go for an ottoman instead. Use a stylish tray on top of the ottoman as a firm resting place for food, drinks, books, and more.
- Extra seating: If you have limited seating and frequently invite a lot of friends over to your house, ottomans can be a way to avoid putting people on the floor. CORT's Intersect ottoman set includes two pieces you can separate and use for seating or foot rests.
Benefits of Flexibility with Accent Furniture
Accent pieces are a powerful way to change the look and feel of your living room without swapping out larger pieces. With CORT Furniture Rental's range of styles, you can even opt to refresh your living room by bringing in new pieces and shaking things up.